Our Lady of the Nativity School was founded by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in 1958 to cater for the growing Catholic population of West Essendon. Initially intended as a junior school (Years Prep – 2) with older students continuing their education at nearby St Therese’s, demand for a co-educational Catholic primary school in the area saw its classes extended to Year Six. The founding principal of our school was Mother John Bosco (Sister Majella Tracey fmm)

Though pre-dating the Parish church, Our Lady of the Nativity School takes its name from the fact that the first mass in the parish was celebrated at Christmas in the stables of Ave Maria Convent, (now Ave Maria College)

From small beginnings, Our Lady of the Nativity School has continued to grow. Classrooms were added as needed and in recent years the school has undertaken a significant building and refurbishment program to ensure up-to-date facilities for our students. A section of the original school was demolished in 2009 to enable the construction of a new building – the Greccio Learning Centre – which houses a library, multi-media centre and learning spaces which support and enhance 21st Century pedagogies. Recent upgrades have seen the addition of a multi-purpose learning area and new administration and staff facilities.

Our school today has an enrolment of just over 400 students in fifteen classes. 32 members of staff ensure the efficient administration of the school, the delivery of an engaging and challenging curriculum and dedicated support for all students.

Franciscan Missionaries of Mary