Click here to view our latest Sustainability Newsletter.
Sustainability Vision Statement
Our Lady of the Nativity aims to reduce our ecological footprint by making conscious choices in our everyday actions following in the footsteps of St Francis. As stated on our school website, we want to be ‘concerned for the environment and committed to stewardship’ in our everyday endeavours living out our values for caring for God’s creation. Through actioning our shared values we hope to inspire others to do the same.
- To develop an environmentally conscious culture at Our Lady of the Nativity School and to filter that out into our surrounding community.
- To reduce the amount of energy through smarter practices and greater efficiency as well as working towards using carbon neutral energy sources: Electricity – 5% decrease per year, Gas – 5% decrease per year, Greenhouse Gas – 5% decrease per year.
- To minimise landfill waste output per year and increase the percentage of material that is reused, recycled and composted.
- To minimise the consumption of mains water 5% decrease per year through maintaining improvements of plumbing systems and water conservation programs.
- To improve biodiversity by increasing our school’s habitat quality index score as close to 70 as possible by planting indigenous species of plants and increasing the habitat area for local and indigenous wildlife.
- To ensure our ‘green purchasing’ policy is implemented at our school and the wider community to reduce environmental impacts and educate the community on making environmentally friendly choices for life.
OLN Sustainability Expectations 2023
- Switch off lights when not needed especially at recess and lunch – have a light monitor assigned in each classroom (this could be part of the Class rep’s role).
- Open windows for cross flow ventilation before using the aircon units. If used, switch off the aircon unit when not needed (ensure it is between 22-24℃ in summer and 20 – 22℃ in winter; every degree costs a lot of energy) – have an aircon monitor assigned in each classroom (this could be part of the Class rep’s role).
- Switch off the fan when not in use especially at recess and lunch – have a fan monitor assigned in each classroom (this could be part of the Class rep’s role).
- Switch off the air purifier when not in use especially at recess and lunch – have a purifier monitor assigned in each classroom (this could be part of the Class rep’s role).
- Use the black food waste bin for ALL food waste and sharpenings.
- Use the soft plastics box for ALL eligible soft plastics to be recycled.
- Use the scrap paper boxes for any paper that can be reused for example one sided paper can be used on the other side.
- Use the blue paper recycling bin for any double sided paper that can no longer be used as scrap paper.
- Use a refillable water bottle and reduce your waste in your lunchbox if possible.
Alison Lappin email@example.com
Current Recycling Programs
Wonder Recycling Bread Bag and Tags Program
Colgate Recycling Program